I guess it was inevitable that when I started seriously cooking I would eventually take an interest in gardening. One naturally inspires the other. There's satisfaction that comes from making a meal from scratch- from a pile of raw ingredients. And once you surround yourself with loads of fresh grown foods you start to get the itch to actually make a meal all on your own- from the ground up! This spring I actually got around to it. Or rather, I finally convinced my dad to come visit and teach me what he knows. We spent Saturday building my mini garden and shopping for all the beautiful plants I would fill it with. I was more excited to pick out vegetables, flowers, and herbs than I was to spend my birthday money on a pile of new clothes! (I get giddy grocery shopping as well. Don't get me started on the farmers market!)
So now, thanks to my Dad, I have a garden patch filled with tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, and jalapenos. I also started several pots of herbs. And already since Saturday, several more. I'm an herb addict. (Fresh herbs are sooo expensive in stores, so I figure I'll save a significant amount of money this way.) Will anything grow? Best case, come summer I will have an endless supply of salsa! Worst case, I realize I'm better suited to preparing produce rather than raising it. Already though, I'm loving the much improved look of our previously bleak (and weed-wrecked) backyard.
P.S. I really am going to try to be better about posting (and photographing) about our lives. At least I finally took a picture of something other than food (oh wait- it's future food). Well, at least it's a step!
First of all...yay for a post! it's been a while girl! ;) And your garden looks AWESOME! Erik and I are trying to plant some things on our back porch too, I should have had daddy Goodfellow come show me a thing or two. Good luck!
ReplyDeletei'm so proud! I actually want to put some pots on my back porch and try to grow some things. I am going to go to a square foot gardening class. I'm excited!
ReplyDelete-and thanks for the compliments on the hair. It is getting longer fast. I'm excited to have long hair again.
Thanks again for donating the extra plants to us! We're keeping our fingers crossed that they will grow!
ReplyDelete