August 29, 2010

On the Farm

On Saturday Dustin and I took a trip to Shenandoah to visit Polyface farm (famous from The Omnivore's Dilemma and Food, Inc.), nestled amongst the blue rolling hills. Most of you know that I'm passionate about eating food that's healthy, local, and naturally grown. This farm is a great example of natural, sustainable farming (everything that industrial feedlots and agriculture is not). Good for the animals, good for the environment, and good for you!

(Please forgive the glares- I wasn't angry, it was just really sunny!)


I made instant friends with the farm dog. He really was as big as me!


The pig pen (the rest of them were out in the woods).



Who knew a tractor could be so sexy?

This is what happens when you use one arm to take the photo.


Beautiful, but stinky.




I'd say those turkeys (and hens and cows) look happy.


I came home with a cooler full of fresh eggs and chickens and can't wait to taste them! (I've had VA-grown meat and eggs before and they are amazing!) On our way home we stopped at one of my favorite spots in Charlottesville for lunch (they feature some of Polyface's ingredients on their menu).

2 comments:

  1. I love the pitchfork picture! Very cool spot to visit... so you're saying I should finally buckle down and watch Food, Inc.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. aahhh the american gothic picture is hilarious! looks like a fun (stinky) time :)

    ReplyDelete