*no stats this month because no check-up 'till 9 months*
but she's definitely growing
especially the brownish/reddish/blondish fuzz on her head... it's filling in and lengthening... someday we'll call it hair!
when I left the room she was sitting on top of the mat, when I came back this is how I found her- still not sure how she managed it
still no signs of crawling
finally occasionally rolling from back to belly (if she's really motivated by something)
squeals and clucks
is talkative and goofy and sweet
loves her jumper, anything chewable (especially body parts), and dominos
is finally starting to let me read her a story without crying
she sleeps well most nights
(except not so much on vacation)
transitioning to 2 naps
around 9 am and 1 pm, 1-2 hours each
no more teeth
(although another bottom one is just about to pop through)
still on Zantac for reflux
breastfeeds 4-5 x a day for 20-30 minutes
and now about eating....
I came across this new method of "introducing solids" called Baby Led Weaning. Weird name, but essentially all it means is that a baby is allowed to self-feed from the very beginning. So instead of spoon feeding her purees, we provide her pieces of real food (prepared soft enough that she can mash them with her gums) and she controls whether/how much she eats. You can read much better explanations of it here and here. (These sites also address choking, which surprisingly isn't an issue because this way babies learn to chew before they swallow.)
And apparently research indicates that babies weaned this way turn out to be more adventurous eaters with healthier food preferences and less likely to become overweight. Sounds good to me.
It took her a little while to get the hang of real foods. She already loved yogurt and cereals, so I let her spoon feed herself. (She's yet to master the scooping motion so I hand her a loaded spoon and she does the rest.) Within a few weeks she mastered the pincer grasp and can now pick up peas and tiny grains (such as barley) without difficulty.
Clara turns carnivorous (trying the Christmas turkey)
It's messy and takes her time to eat. And the first few weeks made me nervous. Is she getting enough to eat? (At first she wasn't, but no need to worry- she's still breastfeeding.) How is she not going to choke on that chunk of broccoli? (Amazingly she'd just keep chewing or pop it out of her mouth. Once or twice at the beginning she'd gag and spit up after trying a new texture.)
Her newest foods: hard cheeses (cheddar, monterey Jack, manchego), turkey, kiwi, cauliflower, broccoli, cherries, blueberries, egg yolks, spices (cinnamon, allspice, cumin, ginger), roasted red peppers, cantaloupe, grains (wheat, farro, quinoa), beans (pinto and canellini), and white fish (flounder)!
She's possibly allergic/intolerant to pumpkin. (Massive vomiting several hours after eating on two separate occasions.) Dustin thinks it's awesome (he hates pumpkin) and I'm potentially heartbroken (because I love pumpkin everything).
Now that's we've got the hang of it, I LOVE feeding her this way! It's less work on our part (no more pureeing!). I love that she's eating foods in their natural form. She shares mealtimes with us, eating simplified versions of what we're having (avoiding added sugars and salt until at least 1 year). She's willing to try and, so far, likes everything I put in front of her. I decide the menu and she's in control of what goes in her mouth. If she's not interested in something I simply remove it and try again another time. No more power struggle over eating.
Lastly, a clip of Clara eating cheese (at Cafe Rio in Virginia over Christmas break)...
I did the same type of baby led feeding with H, and now (at almost 18 months) he is a GREAT eater. At first he didn't like very many fruits, but he will now eat slices of apples and cut up bananas all the time.
ReplyDeleteSome days he will eat tons, and other days he will not eat much. Our pediatrician said not to force him, but to provide daily meals and if he doesn't eat it, that is fine. Don't substitute. Because that is how kids get into the habit of wanting only certain foods; parents give in and give them what they want instead of making them eat what the family eats. Just a thought.
I hated pureeing everything, so I definitely empathize with wanting to give her "real" food and self-feed.
Good luck! Seems like she is doing awesome though!