We live on the third (top) floor of a brick walk-up with a little courtyard in front (where we get to buzz people in through the gate) and garage spots (that we access through the back alley). We're only a block away from an el stop (far enough that the train isn't too noisy) and half a block from a fire station (which is super obnoxious)*.
The neighborhood is, ah, a bit sketchy. While I don't miss anything thing about our old place, I do miss those (safer) beautiful streets and parks behind it. Since we're only a mile away, we often go back there for walks/to play.
We've found that living in Chicago (on a budget) there are always trade-offs. We lost our ideal location and a bit of space, but have a much newer, nicer place. I love this apartment (at least compared to our old one). And we still have friends from church living next door!
*When we first moved in the sounds of sirens invaded my sleep (and wake). But after a few days I've, for the most part, gotten used to it. I've learned to tune them out. I didn't realize how well until twice recently driving I've had ambulances trying to pass me and not even noticed them approaching! I don't hear sirens when I'm driving. Dangerous, I know! But there's not much I can do about it as long as I'm living here. I hope they buy my excuse when I get pulled over for not pulling over.
You'll notice Clara followed me around the house as I was taking photos and pops up in them here and there (usually getting into mischief)...
the bathroom
nothing fancy, but actually quite spacious by my re-adjusted standards
(Clara helping herself to my make-up, I've since smartened up and moved it out of reach)
our bedroom/office
the walls are way too dark, but we decided not to mess with any paint colors since we'll only be here a year
thankfully, cave-like bedrooms are good for sleeping
oh, those hardwood floors = love
and we can walk on all three sides of our bed!
baby girl reading my journal. (she found her ultrasounds)
we had to remove the middle closet doors to make room for the dresser- whatever it takes to fit our stuff
Clara's room
(considered painting it coral again, but didn't)
usually the floor is littered with books
our living room/family room/play room/exercise room
mirrors, mirrors everywhere.
(they make it seem more spacious which is very much appreciated)
with a real working fireplace this time!
(something to look forward to about winter, I suppose)
also love these big sunny windows
kitchen/dining room/laundry/pantry
a slight upgrade from our last place, huh?
my baking station
laundry! (and not in a creepy old basement!!)
back deck/garden
(that poor tree has since died. I'm not sure what I did (or didn't do), but I'm sure I'm responsible)
So that's the tour of our less-than-a-thousand square foot living space. It's small but (minus the sirens) we love it here!
I love your apartment!! You have done such a great job decorating it!
ReplyDelete